Skin Type COMBINATION
What is meant by “Combination” Type skin?
This skin type features two or more different skin types on the face, and the condition of your skin may fluctuate between seasons.
Typically, the combination skin type is characterised by dry, flaking skin on the cheeks, while excessive oil and shine appears on other areas of the face.
Your skin can be dry or normal in some areas and oily in others, such as the T-zone (nose, forehead, and chin). Many people have this type. It may need slightly different care in different areas.
Those with combination skin are in a constant battle with their T-Zone.
How to balance two different skin types can seem like a mystery, but unlocking this mystery is easier than you might think! With the right info and products, balance can be beautiful!
How can I tell if I have Combination Skin?
Combination skin is thought to be one of the most common skin types. A variety of factors can contribute to combination skin, but more often than not, it just comes down to the luck of the draw in terms of what you inherited from your parents, in other words, it’s genetic.
Wash your face with your normal cleanser, then wait an hour. Feel your skin and observe any appearance changes. If after the hour you are seeing oil on the forehead and nose (the T-Zone), but you are dry around the cheeks and jawline – that indicates you have a Combination Skin type.
Watch for these additional symptoms and signs to determine whether or not you’re dealing with combination skin:
Enlarged Pores: If you have oily patches, you may have noticed the pores in these areas look larger. As the sebaceous glands under the skin produce excess sebum (the oily substance that makes your skin look shiny), your pores can become blocked by dead skin cells, causing sebum to build up and enlarge your pores.
Shiny Skin: Those with combination skin experience shine on at least one portion of their face. For most, this shine is most prevalent in the T-Zone, and occurs because of excess oil production.
Blackheads and Whiteheads: When oil becomes trapped in your pores, it mixes with dead skin cells and other debris, causing a plug. When this plug is open to the air, it causes a blackhead; when it’s closed, it results in the formation of a whitehead.
BASIC Skin Type Test
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and water. Use your hands to clean your face and avoid scrubbing too hard.
- Dry your face with a soft towel and leave your skin alone for one hour without applying any products or touching it.
- If after that one (1) hour;-
(i) your face feels rough and/or perhaps tight, you have dry skin
(ii) after blotting your skin with tissue paper, there’s oil on your T-zone (forehead, nose and chin), but not your cheeks, you have combination skin
(iii) you do the same tissue-paper test on your cheeks, and there’s an oily shine on your T-zone and cheeks, you have oily skin
(iv) however, if your skin looks blotchy and red and feels tingly, you have sensitive skin
If you are still uncertain as to your Skin Type, Book a Free Skin Consultation with our Skin Specialist.
Treat Your Skin Type
Not sure of your skin type or which treatment would be best?
Book a free consultation with our skin specialist to discuss your beauty plan.
Treating Combination Skin Type
Combination Skin types can be treated with both;-
- DAILY SKIN CARE regime using professional skin care products tailored to your exact condition, as well as
- SKIN TREATMENTS that target this specific skin type.
Suitable Daily Skin Care Regime for Combination Skin Types should include;-
- CLEANSER – Gentle but effective water soluble cleanser. Lotion-based or gel-textured. The goal is for it to effectively remove impurities, debris, and makeup without leaving skin feeling tight or dry or greasy.
- TONER – Hydrating, soothing non-irritating toner – containing skin-replenishing ingredients and antioxidants. Nourishes dry skin and minimises oiliness.
- EXFOLIATOR – Gentle, non-abrasive, BHA exfoliator. A BHA exfoliant helps skin shed dead skin normally without abrasion, unclogs pores, lessens oily skin, and at the same time gently smooths rough, dry, flaky skin and revives a healthy glow.
- SPF BROAD SPECTRUM SUNSCREEN – Protect from sun damage. No skin type is exempt from the need of a broad spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 30 or greater and applied 365 days a year. This is the one step that reduces the early signs of ageing now and into the future.
- MOISTURISER -with a gel, serum, or even a liquid texture. Should contain antioxidants, skin-replenishing ingredients, and skin-restoring ingredients. These are imperative to help calm skin, lessen excess oil on skin’s surface, and improve any dry areas, including around the eyes.
Suitable Skin Treatments include;-
Skin Care - Coming Soon
Professional Skin Care products for Combination Skin Types